Dipsy is the second Teletubby with an antenna that refers to a dipstick because of his name.
Dipsy's skin tone is slightly darker than the other Teletubbies, implying that he is black. He is jolly and likes talking to himself. He wears a white hat with black cow spots.
Dipsy is 8 feet tall and is green. He calls his hat "Dipsy 'Hat" which is how a toddler would say "My Hat." Dipsy is quite stubborn, sarcastic, and contemptuous, and will sometimes refuse to go along with the other Teletubbies' group opinion. He once lost his hat but Laa-Laa found it. He is the second oldest Teletubby after Tinky-Winky and he is quite intelligent and mature. He often hangs out with Laa-Laa and Tinky Winky and is played by John Simmit (from 1997 - 2003, 2007, 2009) in the original series and Nick Chee Ping Kellington (from 2015 - present) in the new series.
He enjoys playing fun games with the other Teletubbies. In most of the episodes, he can be seen wearing his hat while playing with Tinky Winky, Laa-Laa, and Po while doing any activity they are doing in Teletubbyland. In some episodes, he sometimes plays by himself when nobody is around.
- The sound Dipsy's bottom makes was used in the 1952 Mickey Mouse cartoon Pluto's Christmas Tree.
- The sound Dipsy's bottom makes was also used in the Nintendo 64 game Donkey Kong 64.
- He is the second tallest tubby
- Nick Chee Ping Kellington (Dipsy's new series actor) also played Igglepiggle in In The Night Garden... a another show made by Ragdoll and broadcast on CBeebies with Rebecca Hyland (Laa-Laa's new series actress) also played Upsy Daisy in said series in 2007 to 2009. Kellington also played Tang (suit performer only) in a another CBeebies show ZingZillas with Jeremiah Krage (Tinky Winky’s new series actor) who played Zak (suit performer only) and Rachelle Beinart (Po's new series actress) who also played Drum (suit performer only) in said series in 2010 to 2012. Kellington also was a puppeteer on Muppets Most Wanted and The Dark Crystal: The Age Of Resistance with Olly Taylor (one of Noo-Noo's new series operators).
- Dipsy caused a bit of controversy in 2017, when he appeared on The British daytime programme, Lorraine with Tinky Winky, Laa-Laa and Po, in the end of the Teletubbies appearance on the show Dipsy accidentally grabbed presenter Lorraine Kelly's breast while doing a goodbye hug.