Play with the Teletubbies is a children's video game released in 1999 for PlayStation (PSX) and 1998 for PC by Ragdoll Productions, BBC Multimedia and Asylum Entertainment Games (PSX only). This is first Teletubbies video game.
Children control a Teletubby, wander around Teletubbyland and can play some fun activies in Teletubbyland and inside the house.
All the activities are activated by different objects found throughout the game. The activities in this game are listed below.
|Favourite Things||Each Teletubby's favourite thing depending on which Teletubby you play as.||The Teleubbies play with their favourite things.|
|Hiding Game||A tree||Find each of the other Teletubbies hiding behind some trees.|
|What's That?||A blade of blue grass||Something appears from far away. Follow it as it changes location and listen to a voice trumpet sing or recite a rhyme about the object. There are 11 objects:
|Magic Drum||A green plant||A magic drum appears from far away. Bang the drum four times to make flowers, clouds, rabbits and the other Teletubbies appear. Then bang the drum to make everything swap places.|
|TV Event||The windmill||Watch videos of children from the Teletubbies' tummies. There are 11 videos:
|Magic Event||There are two Magic Event games
|Tubby Custard||The Tubby Custard Machine||The Tubby Custard Machine makes a mess. Make some Tubby Custard footprints as the Teletubby walks around. Then make the Noo-Noo tidy up the Tubby Custard.|
|Tubby Toast||The Tubby Toaster||Make some Tubby Toast to eat. If the Teletubby makes more than four pieces, the Noo-Noo will tidy them up.|
|Chase the Noo-Noo||The Table||The Noo-Noo tidies up a piece of Tubby Toast left on the table. Chase the Naughty Noo-Noo around the house. One by one each of the other Teletubbies will appear and join in the chase. The chase ends with a Big Hug.|
|Controls||The Control Panel||Press buttons to make all sorts of noises at the Control Panel. If the colours of the lights are all matched up, then the Control Panel will flash lots of different colours.|
After playing each activity, the Teletubby will say 'Again Again!'. If you press any of the action buttons (PS1) or click the mouse (PC), then you can play the activity again. If you don't do anything while this happens then the activity will end and you go back to exploring Teletubbyland.
Differences between the Playstation and PC Version
There are lots of differences between the Playstation and PC versions of the game:
- After the intro in the Playstation version, you can choose which Teletubby you want to play as by pressing one of the action buttons (see Gallery). After the intro in the PC version, the game opens inside the house and you are automatically given a Teletubby to play as.
- To choose a different Teletubby to play as in the Playstation version, you pause the game and press square. In the PC version, you can either find one of the Teletubbies while exploring Teletubbyland and click on them, or, you can pick a Teletubby during the TV Event game.
- As the PC version starts inside the house, if you go click on the doors and go outside, the Narrator will say that the Teletubby is going for a walk. After each activity, the Narrator will say that the Teletubby is going for a walk again. In the Playstation version, the Narrator only speaks during the activities.
- In the PC version if you move the mouse faster, the Teletubby will walk faster.
- If you press any of the action buttons in the Playstation version, the Teletubby will say a phrase (Circle = 'Eh-Oh!', Triangle = Laugh, Square = 'Oooh!' and X = 'Uh-Oh!') In the PC version if you click on the Teletubby, they will say 'Eh-Oh!'
- To select an activity in the PC version, you simply click on an object. In the Playstation version, you walk over to an object. A small piano piece plays and stars fly around the object, then press any of the action buttons and the Teletubby will cheer.
- When exploring Teletubbyland in the Playstation version, you can walk through flowers that light up and chase rabbits. In the PC version, if you click on the flowers, rabbits and clouds, some music will play and the Teletubby will say whatever you click on. For example, if you click on a cloud, a small Tuba piece will play and the Teletubby will say 'Oooh Cloud!'
- In both versions, you walk to the bottom of the screen to go the house. In the PC version, a small snippet of music plays before you go into the house. There is no music in the Playstation version.
- When exploring the house in the PC version, the Noo-Noo can be seen going round and round the Control Panel and if you click on him, he will make noise. In the Playstation version, the Noo-Noo can only be seen during the Chase game,the Tubby Toast and Tubby Custard game.
- In the PC version, the TV Event and Magic Event games are activated either by clicking on the windmill or moving the mouse to the top right hand corner of the screen and clicking. In the Playstation version, the TV Events are activated by the windmill, the Magic Train is activated by a toy train and the Musical Clouds are activated by a cloud.
- In the TV Events in the PC version, you can choose which Teletubby to play the video from. There is also an outline of the Teletubby's tummy around the video. In the Playstation version, the video plays from whichever Teletubby you are playing as. There is no outline of the Teletubby's tummy and it just cuts straight to the video.
- Also in the TV Events, the full TV Event tune plays while the Teletubbies meet and hug in the Playstation version. In the PC version, a snippet of the TV Event tune plays on repeat while the Teletubbies meet and hug.
- Also in the TV Events, in the PlayStation version, when the Teletubby glows before it cuts to the video, a different "Yay" sound clip is played. In the PC version, the same "Yay" sound clip that is played when the Teletubbies hug plays instead.
- In the Magic Event games, the Magic Event tune plays while the windmill spins and the Teletubbies line up in the Playstation version. In the PC version, either the Magic Train tune plays or a long opening piece of music plays while the windmill spins and the Teletubbies line up.
- In the Musical Clouds game, there are four clouds in the Playstation version. In the PC version, there are only three clouds.
- In the Magic Train game, in the PC version, the track first appears and then the train goes along the track with lots of blue, green and yellow carts on it. The train makes noises if you click on it. When the train is gone then the track disappears. In the Playstation version, the track is already there. The train has only one blue, one green and one pink cart on it. The train moves forwards by pressing R1 and backwards with L1. As the train moves faster the music speeds up. The train can be slowed down by pressing R2 or L2. The train and carts make noises by pressing the action buttons.
- The Magic Event games and Controls game end after 2 minutes in the Playstation version. In the PC version, the Teletubby does not say 'Again Again' when the games are over.
- The Controls game is only included in the Playstation version. In the PC version if you click on the Control Panel, it will just make random noises and the Teletubby will laugh.
- In the Magic Drum game, in the Playstation version, the drum's appearance is the same as it was in the episode it appeared in The Grand Old Duke of York (White with lots of shapes and patterns around it. The Teletubby bangs the drum with their hand. In the PC version, the drum is red with no designs on it and the Teletubby bangs it with a stick.
- During the Magic Drum game in the PC version, when you bang the drum, flowers, clouds, rabbits and the other Teletubbies appear. In the Playstation version, instead of rabbits, another set of flowers appear. In the PC version, as you walk over to the drum when it changes location, a long drum roll plays. In the Playstation version, once you get to the drum, a quick drum roll plays. In the PC version, when you start to swap everything around, a small snippet of the Noo-Noo's chase theme plays on repeat and the jingly sounds that the Teletubbies make when they bump tummies or a fall over can be heard until everything disappears. In the Playstation version, there is no music or other sounds.
- In both the Magic Drum and What's That? games if you walk really fast in the PC version, a fast piece of music will play. In the Playstation version, there is no music.
- In the What's That? game, after the Narrator says what the object is, the Teletubby will also say what the object is in the PC version. In the Playstation version they just laugh.
- In the Tubby Custard game in the PC version, one of the other Teletubbies will stand at the Control Panel and watch you. In the Playstation version, none of the other Teletubbies can be seen. To make both the Teletubby and the Noo-Noo move faster in the PC version, you move the mouse faster. In the Playstation version, you hold down any of the action buttons. If you walk slow, the music is a slow tune. If you walk faster, then the music changes to a fast tune.
- During the Tubby Toast and Hiding Games, some music plays in the background in the PC version. In the Playstation version there is no music.
- During the Chase the Noo-Noo game, each Teletubby will appear as the chase goes on. In the PC version, the Teletubbies will appear in any order. In the Playstation version, they will appear in a particular order depending on which Teletubby you play as. If you play as Tinky Winky, the order is Tinky Winky, Po, Laa-Laa and Dipsy. If you play as Dipsy, the order is Dipsy, Po, Laa-Laa and Tinky Winky. If you play as Laa-Laa, the order is Laa-Laa, Po, Dipsy and Tinky Winky. If you play as Po, the order is Po, Laa-Laa, Dipsy and Tinky Winky. Like the Tubby Custard game, if you move the mouse faster or hold down any of the action buttons, the Teletubbies and Noo-Noo move faster and the music is faster.
- After the indoor activities in the PC version, when the Teletubby finishes saying 'Again Again!' a shot of the Control Panel is shown before you continue to explore the house. In the Playstation version, you just go straight back to exploring the house.
- To end the game in the PC version, you move the mouse over to the top left hand corner of the screen and click. In the Playstation version, you pause the game and press Select. In both versions, the voice trumpet rises and announces 'Time for Tubby Bye-Bye', the Sun is shown giggling as you hear 'The Sun is setting the sky, Teletubbies say Goodbye!'. Then the Teletubbies walk up to the top of house, say 'Bye-Bye' and jump into the hole. In the PC version, they walk in order from Tinky Winky, Dipsy, Laa-Laa and Po. In the Playstation version, they walk in order from Po, Tinky Winky, Dipsy and Laa-Laa. The PC version also includes credits. The Playstation version has no credits and takes you straight back to the Start Menu.
- The Italian version uses a completely different voice cast and different phrases from the TV series.
- Mary mary quite contrary tune from the pc game was the same song from here come the teletubbies us VHS.
- Little bo peep from one of the teletubbies episodes was mentioned in the PC game.
- Humpty Dumpty song in the PC game was taken from the episode Humpty Dumpty￼.
- Lambs, dogs, puddles, drums, guitars, some TV events and magic clouds made a cameo appearance in the PC game.
- The lion and the bear, three ships, animal parade, singing man in a pink house and the tap dancing bear magical events were deleted from the PC game.